The University of Florence can trace its origins to the Studium Generale, which was established by the Florentine Republic in 1321. Initially, Civil and Canon Law, Literature, and Medicine were among the subjects taught at the Studium, and various famous scholars were invited to teach there: Giovanni Bocaccio was asked to lecture on the Divine Comedy.
In 1364, with Emperor Carlo VII, the Florentine Studium became an Imperial University. However, when Lorenzo the Magnificent gained control of Florence and much of Tuscany, the Stadium was moved to Pisa in 1473. Carlo VIII moved it back to Florence from 1497-1515, but with the return of the Medici family it was once again transferred to Pisa.
In spite of these moves, many teaching activities continued in Florence, and scientific research found substantial support in the various Academies of the time, like the Crusca and the Cimento.
Only in 1859, when the Grand Duke was exiled, were all these separate teaching activities reunited in a suitable system called the Instituto di Studi Pratici e di Perfezionamento. In 1923, with a special Act of Parliament the Instituto was officially denominated and recognized as a full fledged university by the Government.
Universita Degli Studi di Firenze. Centro di Cultura per Stranieri.
MLSA specializes in Summer Study abroad Costa Rica, Summer Study abroad Spain, Summer Study abroad Italy & Summer Study abroad France